Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Joy Snacks: Quick Quotes & Quips for Today



(Joy Shot: Flowers sent to us by dear friend & fabulous therapist, Michele Weiner-Davis. Her friendship has been one of life's beautiful surprises.)

As you may have noticed, I've enjoyed posting recipes to this blog... but life's current busyness has left me feeling like a deer in the headlights when it comes to posting blogs about joy and the brain, a subject I love but have limited time to write about.

Today I realized, "What I love reading the most in my own inbox, and on facebook/twitter is quotes." In all honesty, I don't have time to read all the blogs I subscribe to, much less write them. Sound familiar?

However, I love to collect, digest and share snack-sized thoughts that make me ponder, focus on the good or on God, or chuckle aloud.

Soooooo...though I'll reserve the right to wax wordy on occasion, what I'd like to do between posting yummy recipes is post a random sampling of quotes to lift the heart. Sort of Super Brief Therapy, coming to your inbox with more regularity.

Here's today's Joy Snacks for Your Brain:

The surest way to find God is to go out to others: to love them, to accept them wherever they are, to care for them, to be patient with them. God is found both by the person who loves and by the person who is loved.
John Powell



Fast way to calm the brain? Train it to be here now. Ruminating over the past or fears of the future puts our brains in default mode of Anxious/Depressed loop.The cure: look around you,find something beautiful,touch or focus on it, be grateful, breathe. Be fully present now.Buddhists call this mindfulness.Jesus taught it in his "consider the lilies" sermonette. Whatever you call it, brain science shows it works. ~ Becky Johnson

And finally, your health tip of the day, from a series of cute cartoons sent to me by my beloved Aunt Ann: "If you put a crouton on top of your ice cream sundae instead of a cherry, it counts as a salad."

Or, heck, just keep the cherry on top and eat that ice cream with mindfulness and joy, because life, after all, is too short not to eat ice cream occasionally:)

For as Thornton Wilder wrote, "My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate."

May your day be filled to the brim with love, calm and joy!

Blessings,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment