Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Joy Snack for Today: With You, My Heart is at Home



Sometimes "home" is a place, sometimes it is a person. When I am with my husband, wrapped in his arms, no matter where we are... it is home for me. Who is your home? Who are you "home" to? What a gift it is to provide a place -- be it a therapist's office, a porch swing, a kitchen table, or a comfy couch -- where others can exhale, put their feet up, relax and simply be who they are in your welcoming, accepting presence.


The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
Maya Angelou

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away." ~ George Eliott

"I found it shelter to speak to you." Emily Dickenson

A beloved hymn begins with the phrase, "Abide with me" and I've always loved this image. Abide means "to settle down and make yourself home with" someone. It is the joy of God to do this with us, the joy of humans to remember He's here, very near.

"Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you." Jesus (John 15:4, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment