Saturday, September 5, 2009

Best Waffles Ever: Crunchy, Light, Buttery Goodness



I adore waffles but I am the world's pickiest waffle eater. I love them crisp, crisp, crisp on the outside and lighter than air on the inside. Nothing worse than biting into a crumbly, heavier-than cement waffle.

We typically eat whole grain cereal for breakfast so waffles are a rare treat for special occasions. Therefore, I pull out the stops and go for taste rather than health when I make them from scratch.

The whopping amount of butter in this recipe makes "the crunchiest, most delicious waffle imaginable" according to The Joy of Cooking where I snagged this recipe. You can make it with half or even 1/4 the butter for a light and lighter version. But everyone should try the full butter version just once for the transporting experience. I also love that this recipe does not use baking soda...I really hate that baking soda taste in baked goods and avoid using it when I can.

Finally, for the ultimate eating experience: I like to melt a little dab of butter with about 2 T. maple syrup for just a few seconds in small bowl in the microwave and then dip bites of waffle into this mixture, rather than put butter and syrup on the waffle. This way you get that super-crisp bite with all the taste of the butter & syrup... that seems to just soak in and disappear into waffles, making them heavy and soggy.


Preheat waffle iron. Whisk together in a large bowl:

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt

Thoroughly blend in another bowl:
3 eggs
1 cup (2 sticks butter) -- if you are watching calories you can cut this 1/2 or 1/4 cup... but try it once with the whole cup and make Paula Deen proud
1 1/2 c. milk

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine with a few swift strokes of the whisk. At this point you can add in "stir-ins" -- I love 1/3 c. chopped pecans, but you can also add blueberries or other fruit.

Lightly grease the hot waffle iron with paper towel dipped in vegetable oil and then cook until a golden brown.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment