Saturday, April 23, 2011

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup



With a sore throat and cold, nothing tastes better to me than soup. Tonight I had a hankering for tomato basil soup and decided to have a go at making it myself. I can't believe I've not done this before, as often as I order a cup of this yummy tangy creamy soup when I eat out.

It's a cinch and better than any I've had anywhere! I'll never open a can of Campbell's again:)

In a big pot, saute:

1/2 an onion (I prefer red onions) and 2 fresh cloves garlic in 1 T. olive oil.

As these are simmering coarsely chop 3 fresh, medium sized tomatoes and toss into pot as well, cooking until they release their juices and turn soft, a couple of minutes. At last minute toss in a handful of fresh basil leaves, stir, remove from heat. (I was out of basil and so used a handful of spinach tonight. If you have leftover cooked vegetables in the fridge, toss in up to a cup full!) Add one 16 oz can of diced organic tomatoes, preferably organic.

Using a blender, food processor or immersion blender -- carefully blend the contents of the pot until desired consistency. Stir in anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 cup half n half, depending on your taste. Add 2 t. sugar (or any sweetener you prefer, I like organic brown sugar) then salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with croutons or grilled cheese sandwiches, garnished with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment