Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Spicy Maple Nut Talapia w/ Rice-Feta Pilaf




Tonight was the second time I've made this recipe I created a couple of months ago and it is just so good and easy, I thought I'd better pause to share the joy.

Interesting combination of flavors – sweet/spicy/smoky/nutty. Healthy, too!

Generously coat bottom of skillet with olive or coconut oil, heat to medium high (I usually turn the skillet up to high and then back it down a notch)

4 medium tilapia filets

In one shallow dish, coat fish with your favorite mustard – any kind: honey mustard, whole grain, Dijon, chipotle mustard, hot mustard – whatever!

In another shallow dish mix the following spices:

2 T. paprika
2 T. cumin powder
1 T. Canadian grill seasoning (or salt & pepper to taste)


Roll the mustard covered filets in the spice mixture and patting it in evenly. (Greg,Mr. MildNorwegian, found too spicy, so I just lightly sprinkled the spice on one side of his fish. But I, Mrs. Texas Hot Pepper, love that spicy-blackened style Cajun coating!)

Put in sauté pan, along with a handful of nuts (You can use slivered almonds, pine nuts, chopped walnuts,cashews or pecan.) Remove nuts as soon as they are toasted and keep warm, nearby.

Cook tilapia just a few minutes on both sides until the fish flakes, and spices are a dark golden color.

Serve tilapia over rice pilaf, recipe below. (Also good over mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes)

Drizzle fish with a little real maple syrup – to make a nice glaze. Sprinkle with toasted nuts.

My Favorite Rice Pilaf

Cook 1 package of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (I like the quick cooking 5 minute brand) according to directions. When done, add 1/4 c. dried cranberries (I'm fond of the orange flavored ones), a few chopped nuts (any kind you like), and a couple of Tablespoons of crumbled feta or goat cheese. This is also good with white or brown rice, but I love the colors and textures in the wild rice for a fancy company dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment