Friday, January 1, 2010

Quick n' Hearty Feel Better Chicken Soup



Greg's fighting a cold this New Year's Day, and nothing tastes better, or is better for you, than a steaming bowl of chicken soup when you're under the weather. I invented this one on a night when I was in a hurry, and Greg says it is the "best chicken soup I ever tasted." Bingo! Quick, easy and good! He liked it so well, I doubled it & made it for our New Year's Eve party. Adjust vegies to your liking or to whatever you have on hand. It's creamier and meatier than the average chicken soup, so all it really needs is perhaps a cornbread muffin, maybe a few slices of apple, and dinner is done.

Into pot put:

A quart of chicken broth (I like the boxed organic brands)
1 can no fat cream of chicken soup, condensed
1/3 frozen peas
1 or 2 nuked carrots, cooled and diced (I put them, whole and peeled, in a steam proof zip lock bag and zap them about 3 minutes. Carefully drop on cutting board and dice when cool enough to handle.)
1/2 leftover baked potato, chopped up (or nuke one!)
1/4 c. corn
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
2 T. Thai chili sauce
Angel hair pasta, broken into 1 inch pieces -- about 1/2 cup (dry) or so (More if you really like noodles)

All the breast meat from a deli roasted chicken, diced (I love the big juicy ones at Sam's Club)... if you want dark meat as well, be my guest, and bone that, too!
pinch oregano and terragon

Simmer all until pasta is tender... (about 10 minutes), taste and season with salt, if needed, and plenty of pepper. You can thin it a bit with water or milk if it seems too thick to you, but it turned out just right for us!
I like a bit of diced green onion tips or fresh parsley on top of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment