Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Spicy Butter Bean, Kale & Hominy Bowl

Dish of Vegie Deliciousness, with Corn Chip Topping





Mixture simmering in pot.






A week ago, my daughter Rachel and her baby, Jackson, met us for a few days of vacation in Scottsdale. (Sun, daughter, grandbaby, pool, hubby, time to reeeelax. What more could one ask for?)







Rachel is a vegan, and so I threw together this concoction, thinking to myself, "At least it will give her some protein and vegies." And then I tasted it, and loved it! (As did she.) I actually packed it up, along with some tortilla chips to take to the pool for our lunch the next day.



Back home in Denver today, I realized, to my shock and surprise, "I'm craving butter beans, and kale... and hominy." I will eat this for dinner and snack on it through the week, knowing I'm eating something that not only satisfies, but is super nutritious as well.



Spicy Butter Bean, Kale and Hominy Bowl



Saute 1 chopped onion and 2 cloves minced garlic



To this add:



1 can butter beans (NOT lima beans), with juice from can



1 can kidney beans, with juice from can



1/2 large tomato, chopped



1 big bunch kale, ribs trimmed away and chopped in about 1 inch pieces




1 can hominy, drained



1 roasted green chili chopped (or a small can green chilis)



Season with:



1/2 to 1 t. grill or steak seasoning (taste first... as the beans and juice have some saltiness to them) Or salt & pepper to taste



1 T. brown sugar or maple syrup



1 t. smoked paprika (very key as it gives this dish a bacony flavor without the bacon)




Tabasco or buffalo sauce to taste



1 t. cumin

Let simmer until kale is soft and not too chewy, I like most of the liquid absorbed until it is nice and thick. However if you prefer it as a soup, you can simmer for a shorter time or add a can of diced tomatoes with juice.


Serve with crushed corn chips or cornbread.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I would love if you shared it in my vegetable recipes Blog Hop. Enter it for a chance at a Starbucks prize package! http://bit.ly/sg4tTf

    ReplyDelete