Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kiss Me! I Just Found Out I'm Irish!


Only two weeks ago did I find out that I am, in fact, a wee bit Irish! My great-grandmother who died when my grandfather was just sixteen years old, was named Mary Kathryn McNally. He loved her fiercely and though he seldom, if ever, cried; he wept the day she died, one of the saddest in his life, so he told my Aunt Ann.

So today is the first St. Patrick's Day I can say with the rest of the Irish folk in the world: "Kiss me, I'm Irish!"

We often tease that our highest holy day at our church is St. Patrick's Day. Our pastor, Hugh Halter (author of The Tangible Kingdom) has read and modeled much of his life upon this beloved saint and has spent more than one St. Patty's Day in a real pub (sometimes by invitation), sharing the original meaning of this day and the man for whom it is named. He tells me that there are often tears in the green beer upon hearing the story of a man who loved life, God, and his fellow man so deeply.

You'll enjoy reading up on St. Patrick today, if you've never read about his life. You can "google" him anywhere.

There are so many great Irish sayings, greetings and blessings. But I've chosen this one to share with my friends today, as it contains a great truth. In fact, those who manage to do this are probably the happiest people on the planet, Irish or no.

Happy St. Patricks Day to One & All!


Always remember to forget
The things that made you sad.
But never forget to remember
The things that made you glad.

Always remember to forget
The friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember
Those that have stuck by you.

Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
The blessings that come each day

No comments:

Post a Comment